6/2/12

At the Heart


Today was SO good with Gwin. I went out by her for a few hours in the early afternoon. I worked with her using some of the things Linda taught me on Wednesday. Gwin responded SO soft and well. It was fun. We had a great, connected, loving, bonding three hours together. And I couldn't have been happier. 


I talked to her. With my heart. I know that sounds a little crazy, but it completely works, and anyone who knows and loves horses knows it's true.


I've learned with Gwin, that somehow, if I stay loyal to my word and prove the integrity of my true character whenever I'm with her, she opens up to me. If I lie to her or myself in choosing/trying things out that I don't feel are right for us, I lose her altogether for that session. It's just that simple.




Today, we did MY kind of round pen work. And it was lovely. She did JUST what I'd hoped she would do. We rode bare back with just her rope harness and reigns. We did all leg reigning only in the pen. She was remarkable. Then we went out of the pen (first time bare) and rode ALL over the property. We did most leg reigning. Some trotting (I'm getting there) and lots of "partnering" on our walk. It was fantastic!

Then I spent some time with her in her space. Gwen and Carrie took Angle and Monty on a weekend trail riding trip, so we had the place all to ourselves. I kneeled and sat a lot. Stepped back when she made eye contact. (This really does make her come to me!) And just hung out without asking anything of her.

A few times she came over while I was down low, she put her face to my face softly and loved me. Once, she blew long and gentle on my right cheek and then did the same to my left. It was so sweet.


I let her out to pasture and took some photographs of her. Okay, like maybe 300 or so. :) It was so beautiful out and we were having such a good time together. I kept having to move back because she kept slowly working her way to me in her grass munching. ;)

Finally, it started to rain and I had to close up shop, bring her in for her beet pulp and supplements, and head home.

I can't wait for our time together again tomorrow. 




No comments:

Post a Comment