6/8/12

Home


Today, Zeek went to his Nanna's all day, and I spent about five hours with Gwin.

We started with a trail ride. She is SO responsive to the slightest coaxing with my right boot. That is awesome, since I really only had to prove to her that I would do the "one, two, KICK" during one ride, and now it's maintaining itself. 

Because of this, we had no problem getting around from one place to the next. She even crossed the street and the "bridge" well. These are areas where she used act up because she knew there wasn't much I could do. They are places where I would protect us first, and get what I wanted second. She's certainly no dumby. ;)

Once I realized where we were where, half way through our usual trails, we headed to my house! It was such a short way that I was laughing at myself we'd never gone before. 

Gwin was VERY uncomfortable when I took her straight onto my land and had her all over the yard and woods. It was eye opening for me, because I knew just how very safe she was. Knowing that I was fully confident and aware of our surroundings, and that she was not in ANY danger what-so-ever, showed me that she can be scared all on her own having nothing to do with reality or her riders insecurities. 


I felt great showing her around. We accidentally separated a mama deer and her sweet tiny baby/s in the woods. We had to leave so they could reunite. 


Up at the house, I took Gwin's saddle off. I tried to tie her to a couple of trees... each time she immediately wound herself around them and panicked. I didn't know where to put her so I could go in to pee, get some sun screen, and bring lunch out. 


I finally decided to try the dog trolley. It was AWESOME! She could get around. He lead was no where near her feet, ever, and she could be close enough to the house to feel safe. I still only went in the house quickly three separate times so I could keep a good eye on her. She was an emotional mess here. :)

My favorite was when she spotted herself in my front door (which is pretty much a big window), and thought there was another horse. She whinnied and whinnied until the neighbors came over! They used to have horses so they were very excited to see a horse in the neighborhood. 

On our ride home I was a little nervous. I think it was all that nervous energy from Gwin back at my place. But we rode past a mail man in his truck, and he had that warmest eyes. He smiled big and said, "great day for a ride", and I felt at peace again. Can't let all that horse drama separate you from being a human, right!? 

The ride home was fun (and quick). Just at the very end it sprinkled a little. So cool and refreshing. I groomed her in the stall for about an hour, taking care of her legs too. She loved having her legs groomed. She would even pick her feet up to push her leg deeper into the brushed. 

I turned her out to Monty and Angel. She must be in heat, because she was all over Monty, flirty and suggesting. Poor girl. Monty looks hot, but he's out of commission and has nothing to offer her. 

I drove to Jeff's to take care of things there by about 3:30. It was SO nice to have had the whole day with my girl. Can't wait for Monday when Zeek's summer school starts, and I will have four morning hours a day with her for six weeks! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment